Monday, January 18, 2016

On Social Media.

I will start this post by saying this. I love a lot of what social media has to offer. For me, instagram is my preferred choice of social media. I use instagram as a way to express myself creatively via pictures and quotes that truly speak to me. To me, instagram is like an art project. It's fun. So, I'm not here to put down social media. At all. But what I'd like to do is speak about how eating disorders and dieting as a whole are portrayed through social media, and how people can truly get the wrong and unhealthy message about eating disorders through social media.

I have come across way too many instagram accounts and other social media websites and platforms with people glamorizing eating disorders. Seeing these things not only saddens me but also is very offensive to someone who actually once struggled with an ED. People who do not struggle with one do not understand the severity of it, because they have not lived it themselves. Therefore, they often inaccurately portray what it means to have one. Yes, skinny and dieting.. those things are glamorized in social media. They just are. And it's hard to ignore those things. It's when the dieting is taken to a whole  other level that it becomes an issue.

Thank goodness I did not know about these when I was struggling with an ED, but years later I found out that there are "pro-ana" sites where people who are struggling (or even those who are not) talk about eating disorder tips and strategies and try to encourage and inspire one another to keep up with their unhealthy habits and loose weight. It's terrifying. The fact that these sites are out there is just insane to me as they only perpetuate the problem. There should be more sites and media outlets where those struggling can go to receive positive encouragement for recovery. Sadly, those sites and platforms are few and far between.

The thing is.. when people are struggling, and so consumed with their disorder, they're not necessarily searching for recovery tips. In fact, their eating disorder is probably directing them straight towards the ED pro-ana sites so they can keep up with their illness. This is why I believe it is crucial to diminish these pro-ana sites once and for all. To add more sites that are positive and portray ED's as what they truly are.. gruesome and horrible illness's that are not glamorous in the slightest.

The biggest problem with the way ED's are portrayed on social media is that there is this inaccurate portrayal that they are wonderful. That you should want to have one. Not enough information is out there portraying ED's as they truly are.. a deadly illness which can wreak havoc on your body. The images that young girls can get their hands on of skin and bones Anorexic's is frightening. Yes, it's out there, but the least we can do is portray ED's for what they really are so the truth about them is out there. Let's spread knowledge and truth.

ED.

No comments: